The People”s Park is near Dún Laoghaire town centre, between Glasthule and the Seafront. It was developed by the then Kingstown Town Commissioners towards the end of the 19th century in the formal Victorian style. It was enclosed by wrought iron railings and gates with the most prominent entrances off George”s Street and Queen”s Road.
Today it is a beautiful landscaped park and it is open to locals and visitors alike. It comes alive every Sunday as market vendors bring their colourful collection of food and crafts to this most beautiful park. This, together with the very popular new playground and Tea Rooms contribute significantly to the popularity of the park.
There was a Martello tower on the site, built in 1805 as part of defences against a possible Napoleonic invasion. This is shown on plans for the proposed pier in 1817 and is featured on the cover of William Duncan’s survey of the County of Dublin 1821. The original layout of the park shows a pedestrian path system somewhat more formal and cruciform than the current one. The latter, more complex path layout appeared by 1937.
The fountain nearest the railway was fully restored to working order and illuminated in 1985. In 1986 the Council decided to dedicate the fountain to mark the 70th anniversary of the 1916 Rising, and an inscribed stone paving slab was laid beside it.
The second fountain was similarly restored in 1988 as part of the Borough Council’s contribution to mark Dublin’s Millennium. An inscribed stone slab was also placed in the surrounding paved area.
The main structures within the park are:
Park Lodge, an attractive Victorian Gate Lodge formerly a Gardener’s residence and now used as offices
The Victorian Shelter (now the Park Tea Rooms)
Two Cast Iron Fountains
A Bandstand with original gaslight standards A Garden for the Blind
Ancillary Service Buildings and Public Toilet.