The beautiful Gaasbeek Castle, with its 100 acres of landscaped gardens, is situated outside Brussels in the municipality of Lennik. There has been a castle positioned on this site since 1240 however much of what can be seen today was completed under the ownership of Marquis d’Arconati Visconti between 1887-1898.
Godfried of Leuven (1209-1253) ordered the building of a defensive castle during the feudal middle ages to defend the Duchy of Brabant against the nearby counties of Flanders and Hainaut. In 1388 the then owner Zweder of Abcoude wished to extend his lands but was met with opposition by Everaard t’Serclaes, Alderman of the City of Brussels. On the 26th of March 1388 Zweder’s son murdered t’Serclaes and in retribution Gaasbeek was besieged and devastated by the people of Brussels.
The castle was reconstructed over the next 150 years before being bought by Lamoraal of Egmond along with seventeen villages…
View original post 424 more words